DEVELOPING: Fire Breaks Out At Bend Home Thursday

The Bend Fire Department responded to a structure fire with a possible propane or natural gas leak. Upon arrival Bend Fire crews found what appeared to be a bark mulch fire that heated a 5 gallon bottle of propane to the point that it vented gas and caught fire exposing the residence to fire. The exterior of the house was partially burned. No fire extended inside the structure or attic of the structure. Crews quickly extinguished the fire and evacuated smoke from inside the residence. After investigation the cause was undetermined. Although the cause of this fire was undetermined the Bend Fire Department would like to remind everyone to be extremely cautious with barbecue equipment around combustible materials such as bark mulch or wood deck.